THINGS I'VE ALREADY DONE:
- Distributed over 300 flyers
- Visited local vets and shelters
- Posted on: Craigslist, Reddit, Nextdoor, Iowa Lost & Found Pet Alert, AHeinz 57 Missing Mutts, Des Moines And Surrounding Areas Lost and Found Pets, Des Moines, IA - Lost Dogs, Cats & Pets (Pawboost), Beaverdale Iowa, Merle Hay Neighborhood Association, DSM Girl Gang Community, Des Moines IA Area Swap, and more. Plus personal page sharing.
- Talked to neighbors and walkers near sightings
- Left out her carrier and a blanket I sleep with by the backdoor of my apartment facing the woods
- Set out her litter box on my balcony
- I know this often a disputed tactic. I live on a 3rd floor apartment, so I felt comfortable enough to place the box out for scent purposes without predators getting into it.
- Searched the woods with a 9-person search party
- Patrolled over 10 miles of local neighborhoods
- Sat outside for a few hours every night with tuna - both calling for her and silently
- Sprinkled Cat Attract Litter by the woods
- Contact local Search and Rescue groups to see if they knew anyone in the area with scent tracking dogs. (There sadly isn't.)
- Contact Missing Pet Partnership (There are no local pet detectives.)
- Read "How To Find Your Lost Cat" by Kim Freeman (Lost Cat Finder)
- Set up 2 trail cams in the area with tuna bait to see if she's still in the area
- So far I've only caught raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, possums, foxes and deer. But no Merlot.
- Place a classified ad in the Des Moines Register
- Will keep it running every week until Merlot is found.
- Got a phone consult from Kim Freeman
- Created a Facebook page and boosted Missing post.
- HAVE RECIEVED A CONFIRMED SIGHTING OF MERLOT ON 50TH ST
- Live trap in place
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
WHERE TO LOOK?
This is a map of all the reported sightings. I update every time I get a phone call, text, or Facebook message about a potential sighting.